Rutgers University Newark Health Service, accredited by Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, supports the mission of the University, which includes: student education, retention, academic success, leadership, and healthy personal growth and development.
The Rutgers University Health Services is composed of compassionate Board certified health professionals who value innovation, quality, and efficiency and aim to meet the evolving needs of a diverse community.
Our mission is to serve the needs of the students as an integral part of the network of student support services, with special attention to health care and health education. We provide access to comprehensive preventative health programs, care for accidents and illness, and linkages to specialty services on a twenty-four hour basis. We utilize a holistic approach which recognizes the connections between healthy minds and healthy bodies in all our interactions. We work closely with mental health and drug and alcohol services on this campus.
- We respond to the direction of the Newark Chancellor's Office by consulting on matters related to the health and welfare of the Newark campus, and we collaborate with our colleagues on the New Brunswick and Camden campuses in matters of mutual concern.
- We offer low cost pharmacy services for the Rutgers community, and high quality low cost health insurance plans for all students.
- We support a low cost insurance plan for students, in accordance with the Affordable Care Act, in order to provide more comprehensive health care services to students.
- We apply guidelines of Healthy People 2020 and CDC to promote a healthy campus culture.
- We maintain relationships with State and local resources such as campus Police, to alert the campus, and serve as first responders in case of a public health emergency. Health Service staff trains and educates itself and the campus regarding emergency preparedness.
- We coordinate the health promotion program which includes the education and direction of Student Health Advocates, Unity Theatre, Health Fairs and outreach programs.
- We sponsor the undergraduate Health & Social Justice Class at Rutgers University, under auspices of the Psychology Department for academic credit.
- We direct and coordinate health promotion and advocacy programs to prevent or respond to incidents of Sexual assault and Interpersonal violence.
- We work with Rutgers Environmental Health and Safety department and the campus community to ensure a safe campus environment, including health fairs and flu PODs, and attention to infection control and violence prevention.
- We promote quality assurance and improvement efforts of staff, and support their continuing medical education and credentialing.